Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My Thing

I never knew I could be so attached to a THING. I've heard about people who have good luck charms like a pen that they have with them forever even though it does not serve it's purpose anymore, a key chain, etc. I just discovered mine recently. I would not exactly call it is as a good luck charm but it is something that I miss dearly when I don't have it with me and disturbs me greatly thinking that something evil is going to happen if I don't have it.

It is the first piece of gold that I 'ASKED' for from my dad. I don't actually remember whether I asked for it or as usual, I told my mom and she mentioned it to dad. It was late evening during the monsoons in India. I clearly remember that my grandma(dad's mother)had come to stay with us for a few days. When my dad came to know that I wanted one, he gave my mom the money and asked her to get it for me immediately. It was around 8 pm. So, myself, mom and grandma go to Mehta Jewellers in R.S.Puram and after a lot of skimming and no's, I got my first gold chain. A small and thin one, just like what I wanted and my dad didn't. He is usually the heavy-chunky-jewelery types and I'm the small-yet-cute-and-pretty types. I came back home and showed it to dad and he goes(again as usual): "It's nice but you could've got a thicker and longer one".

It is a tradition in me that when I go shopping and buy something, I show it to my dad and ask for his opinion. He never says it is bad or he doesn't like it. (Something to be followed.) When I buy a salwar, he says "Next time go in for a BRIGHT color". When I buy something in cotton, which I love, he says "You could've bought in silk. It is much more grand" and I totally respect his opinions. When, we go out as a family even for dinner to a restaurant, he wants me to be very neatly dressed. He is always on the look out for me. After all, daughters are always the favorites for fathers. :)

So, that's the story of my gold chain. It has broken a couple of times, twisted and looks ragged like the Indian roads after monsoons but I love it. Even when I came to the US, my mom suggested that I sell this one and buy a new one. I gave her a satisfactory no and told her that according to my memory this is the first piece of jewelery that I ever asked my dad and it would remain with me forever.

4 comments:

  1. ur articles look standard and nice....congrats :) but wats ur blog mainly based on? i mean,on wat topic u r facing to share?
    bye,
    spoofing-novels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it is not based on anything. I just write whatever comes to my mind and want to record it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first thing I asked my dad-- this is an interesting topic! :)

    It was pen! Not intentional. We just began writing with pen in school and I needed one. When I told my dad- he said you are too small to write with pens! That day and the next day I stood outside the class, without a pen. No one would give me one for all their pens belonged to their dads!

    It was/is an obsession since then. I buy at least two pens every month! My house is full of pens! And I am never anywhere without a pen!

    recently, my dad showed me a bunch of little notes that I had to write to him each time before he buys me a pen.. like how I'd behave well, listen to what mom says, not be adamant about watching the T.V! dates back to 92.. 1994 etc! It was a great feeling to read these notes! And they were one of the first "somethings" that were written by me! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always nice when there are things that bring back good memories. So nice of your dad to save those notes!

    ReplyDelete